Healthy Families is a free, 8-week, family-based program for those with one or more children struggling with overweight and obesity.
Alegent Creighton Health along with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension, Charles Drew Health Center, One World Health Center, Hy-Vee, the Greater Omaha YMCA, and University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension collaborate to make this FREE program possible.
The Healthy Families program is a best-practice program taught by a team of health professionals to help families make healthier choices related to physical activity and nutrition. In recent evaluations, children and parents who participated in the program significantly reduced their Body Mass Index (ratio of their height to weight), increased their consumption of fruits and vegetables, and were more physically active together as a family. The program is most successful for families who participate for the full 8 weeks of the program.
Please consider referring children and their families to the Healthy Families program.
- Any child or teenager (ages 6-18) who’s Body Mass Index is > 85th percentile for age and gender (e.g., children who are struggling with their weight and are at greater risk for developing chronic diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure).
- Child must attend classes with at least one adult family member or caregiver/guardian; however, the entire family is encouraged to attend.
Benefits for Families:
- Receive personal attention and expertise of Registered Dietitians, Behavioral Health Therapists, and trained Physical Activity Specialists
- Improve family’s health and quality of life
- Learn how to: eat healthy on a budget, have fun while being physically active as a family and set family goals to make healthy choices together
Families Earn Incentives:
Families receive a free family YMCA membership for the 8 weeks they attend Healthy Families. Also, families get a $50 food gift card upon completion of the class.
Healthy Families program meets once per week in the evenings, for 8 weeks. Participants are encouraged to attend all classes to receive the full benefit of the program.
- Family Play: 30 minutes – families get moving together with some fun games.
- Good Eats: 60 minutes – families sit down together for a nutrition lesson and to share a healthy snack.
How to Sign Up:
- There are four Healthy Families locations to choose from and they partner with their neighboring YMCA:
- North Omaha: at the Charles Drew Health Center on 30th and Grant Streets. Tuesdays from 5:30-7:00 pm
- Council Bluffs: at the Broadway Hy-Vee on Thursdays from 6:00-7:30pm
- South Omaha: (Spanish Speaking, and for OneWorld patients only) at OneWorld Community Health Center on 30th and L Streets. Mondays from 5:30-7:00 pm. Contact Nick Sullivan at (402) 734-4110 ext. 1219.
- West Omaha: at Lakeside Hospital on 168th and Center on Monday nights from 6:00-7:30pm.
2. Families may sign up by calling Kay Grant, Healthy Families Program Coordinator, at (402) 343-4691 or via email at email@example.com
3. A clinic or medical provider may obtain a referral slip for a qualifying family by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.