Healthy Families is a free, 12-week, family-based program for those with one or more children struggling with overweight and obesity.
Alegent Health along with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension, Charles Drew Health Center, One World Health Center, Hy-Vee, and the Greater Omaha YMCA are collaborating to make this FREE program possible.
The Healthy Families program was deemed a promising practice for helping families increase awareness and make healthier choices by the University of Nebraska-Omaha School of Human Performance, Exercise, and Recreation. In recent evaluations, children and parents who participated in the program significantly reduced their BMI from pre-test to post-test. Further, children who participated decreased their consumption of full-calorie soda and parents increased their physical activity from pre-test to post-test. The program is most successful for families who participate for the full 12 weeks of the program.
Please consider referring children and their families to the Healthy Families program.
- Any child or teenager (ages 5-18) who’s BMI is > 85th percentile for age and gender.
- Child must attend classes with at least one adult family member; however, the entire family is encouraged to attend.
Benefits for Families:
- Receive personal attention and expertise of Registered Dietitians and trained Exercise Scientists
- Improve family’s health and quality of life
- Learn how to: eat healthy on a budget, have fun while being physically active as a family and set family goals to make healthy choices together
Families Earn Incentives:
Families earn one month free family YMCA membership for every month they attend class. Also, families get a $50 food gift card during our healthy grocery store tour upon completion of the class.
Healthy Families program meets weekly for 12 weeks. Participants are encouraged to attend all classes to receive the full benefit of the program.
- Family Play: 45 minutes – families get moving together with some fun games.
- Good Eats: 45 minutes – families sit down together for a nutrition lesson and to share a healthy snack.
How to Sign Up:
- There are four Healthy Families locations to choose from and they occur on different nights of the week.
- Families may sign up by calling Emma Frost-Briley, Healthy Families Program Coordinator, at (402) 690-4063 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The clinic may send a list of interested families to email@example.com. Please include the child’s name, the child’s date of birth, guardian’s name and the best phone number to reach them at.