On September 17, 2018, Governor Pete Ricketts and Lt. Governor Mike Foley proclaimed September as Family Meals Month!
Live Well Omaha Kids and our partners traveled to the State Capitol for a special proclamation ceremony. Staff and their families attended from these organizations:
- Boys Town
- Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
- Fresh Thyme Farmers Markets
- Genesis Health Clubs
- OneWorld Community Health Centers, Inc.
- Family Fare
- Live Well Omaha
LWOK Director Sheena Helgenberger made the following remarks at the ceremony:
“Live Well Omaha Kids is honored to be here today in support of Family Meals Month, along with the Nebraska Grocers Industry Association and our many partners.
We all have the common goal of promoting families gathering together to share healthy meals. Cooking and dining together has many benefits.
- Eating at home saves money – on average, eating three meals a week in, versus out, saves a family of four approximately $2,000 in one year!
- Studies also show that kids who eat at home with their families are more likely to try new foods and eat more nutritious foods.
- Family dining also benefits family communication, reduces stress, improves school performance and supports healthy teen development.
Grocers, community partners, and most importantly, Nebraska families celebrate Family Meals Month by committing to cook and dine more at home.
Families, such as the Carrolls, who are joining us on stage today, make family mealtime a priority and assign each member of the family a responsibility – from setting the table to loading the dishwasher.
Giving everyone a role during meals can help families overcome one of the most commonly cited barriers to dining at home – a lack of time – and allows families to be together away from screens and other distractions.
On behalf of Live Well Omaha Kids and our partners, thank you Governor Ricketts and Lt. Governor Foley, for honoring the importance of family dining with this Family Meals Month proclamation.”
Learn more about why Live Well Omaha Kids encourages families to cook and dine together here.