Family Dining Campaign
Families that eat together, stay together!
Studies show that kids who eat at home with their families are more likely to try new foods and on average consume more nutrient-rich foods like low-fat dairy, vegetables, fruits and lean meats.
In addition to nutritional benefits, family dining has other benefits, such as:
- Reducing stress
- Improving communication among family members
Dining together more than four nights per week is also attributed to:
- Reducing risk of depression in teens
- Reducing teen drug use
- Reducing teen pregnancy
Additionally, eating at home saves money – on average, eating three meals a week in, versus out, saves a family of four approximately $2,000 in one year!
September 2018 is Family Dining Month
Live Well Omaha Kids encourages families to cook and eat together more nights per week as a family by taking the Family Dining Pledge. This year, we moved our celebration to take place during National Family Meals Month™, which was launched in 2015 to bring grocers together to advocate for the benefits of family meals and underscore the role grocers play in helping families create and share more meals at home.
During Family Dining Month, Live Well Omaha Kids will feature:
- Easy, healthy recipes and mealing planning tools from Family Fare Supermarkets
- Conversation starters and dinner table tips from Boys Town
- Resources from the FMI National Family Meals Month™ Toolkit
- Social media hashtag challenge with great prizes
Since 2013, over 2,500 families have committed to cooking and dining together more at home. Join them by taking the Family Dining Pledge today.
How to Participate:
Take the Pledge and Share on Social Media
Take or Renew your Family Dining Pledge for 2018! Be sure to share on social media or use the Family Dining Month Profile Frame on Facebook to let everyone know that you Pledge to cook and dine more together at home!
Live Well Omaha Kids wants to know what works for families at home. Tag Live Well Omaha Kids on Facebook and Twitter or use the hashtag #OmahaFamilyDining to share your success stories or ask us a question. Be sure to follow us for an exciting hashtag challenge that will take place during September’s Family Dining Month and have the chance to win some excited family-friendly prizes!
Get Families to Take the Pledge and Win!
Live Well Omaha Kids partner Fitucate is offering two prizes to the school which secures the most online Family Dining Pledges by September 30, 2018. Note: Families must mention the school’s name when completing the online form to qualify.
- A FREE one-hour fitness class for an entire school (or classroom – depending on the school’s wishes), and;
- A FREE one-month membership to fitness classes at Fitucate’s 6052 Wenninghoff Road location (for up to 10 individuals)
Promote Family Dining Month
Live Well Omaha Kids invites local organizations to lift up the message that families benefit when they cook and dine together at home. Here’s how you can help:
- Use your newsletters and social media channels to spread the word and raise broader awareness. Commit to at least one Facebook post, one Tweet, and one email message throughout the month of September.
- Share photos of your employees in action as they commit to share one more family meal at home per week and use #OmahaFamilyDining.
- Encourage your families to sign the online Family Dining Pledge or use the paper versions in English or Spanish.
- Put on an event or align an existing event to promote family dining. Examples: host a food demo, organize a family meal prep or serve a family style meal.
Community partners promoting Family Dining Month:
Charles Drew Health Center
Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
Family Fare Supermarkets
OneWorld Community Health Centers